DPSCS Honor Guard competition Wednesday
Annual event features 13 teams from across Maryland
TOWSON, MD (April 9, 2012) - Honor Guard teams from 13 Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (DPSCS) institutions will compete Wednesday, April 11 in Sykesville, MD.
This event is the third annual departmental Honor Guard competition, and begins Wednesday morning at the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission’s gymnasium in Sykesville, MD.
Media is invited to attend. Competition is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. Please RSVP to Erin Julius, listed above, to make arrangements.
The competition’s judges are: DPSCS Secretary Gary D. Maynard, Deputy Secretary J. Michael Stouffer, Deputy Secretary G. Lawrence Franklin and Charles Rapp, Executive Director for the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions.
Wednesday’s winner will be designated the official DPSCS Honor Guard for the next year and serves at official functions.
The rest of the DPSCS institutional Honor Guards will continue to serve their facilities and regions at departmental Change of Leadership and other formal ceremonies, as well as at funerals across the state to honor fallen comrades.
The following institutions are fielding teams:
- Western Correctional Institution and North Branch Correctional Institution (combined, Cumberland, MD)
- Maryland Correctional Institution – Hagerstown
- Roxbury Correctional Institution (Hagerstown, MD)
- Maryland Correctional Training Center (Hagerstown, MD)
- Maryland Correctional Pre-Release System (Headquartered in Jessup, MD)
- Jessup Correctional Institution
- Maryland Correctional Institution – Jessup
- Maryland Correctional Institution for Women (Jessup, MD)
- Metropolitan Transition Center (Baltimore, MD)
- Chesapeake Detention Facility (Baltimore, MD)
- Maryland Reception, Diagnostic and Classification Center (Baltimore, MD)
- Eastern Correctional Institution (Westover, MD)
- Baltimore City Detention Center/Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center (combined)