DPSCS Central MD Correctional Facilities Cancelling Visits This Weekend
Towson, MD (August 26, 2011)---Due to Hurricane Irene, most State correctional facilities in Baltimore, Jessup, and southern Maryland have cancelled weekend visits.
- Only Maryland Correctional Institution-Jessup, Jessup Correctional Institution, and the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women will have Saturday visits. All other facilities have cancelled Saturday visits.
- All correctional facilities have cancelled their Sunday visits.
- Many volunteer services activities, including some religious services, will also be cancelled both Saturday and Sunday.
- All correctional facilities were inspected earlier this week after the earthquake and found to have no structural issues. However, special precautions have been taken throughout the State to minimize both wind and flood damage from Irene.
- Generators, medical supplies, and extra food are in place.
- Facilities with more than one level are prepared for a “vertical evacuation” if necessary, moving inmates to upper tiers.
We ask that families please refrain from calling the prisons, as they will not be able to give constant updates. Instead, please follow the DPSCS twitter and facebook accounts for updates/changes throughout the weekend.