Patuxent Institution Wins DPSCS Honor Guard Competition
TOWSON, MD (January 14, 2011) –
Patuxent Institution’s Honor Guard Friday morning won the honor of representing the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services at public events throughout 2011 by placing first in the department’s annual competition.
Jessup Correctional Institution won second-place honors, and will serve as a backup to Patuxent for all events.
Roxbury Correctional Institution in Hagerstown and the Maryland Reception, Diagnostic and Classification Center tied for third place.
“The Honor Guards represent all 7,000 department employees who wear a uniform,” said DPSCS Secretary Gary D. Maynard. “From what I saw here today, they represent their fellow officers very well,” he said.
Maynard, Division of Correction Commissioner J. Michael Stouffer, Division of Pretrial Detention and Services Commissioner Wendell France and Randall Nero, Director of Patuxent Institution, served as judges.
DPSCS institutional Honor Guards serve at departmental Change of Leadership and other formal ceremonies, as well as at funerals across the state to honor fallen comrades.
The following institutions fielded teams:
- Division of Pretrial Detention and Services in Baltimore
- Eastern Correctional Institution in Westover
- Maryland Correctional Adjustment Center in Baltimore
- Maryland Correctional Institution – Hagerstown
- Maryland Correctional Institution for Women in Jessup
- Maryland Correctional Pre-Release System
- Maryland Correctional Training Center in Hagerstown
- Jessup Correctional Institution in Jessup
- Maryland Reception, Diagnostic and Classification Center in Baltimore
- Metropolitan Transition Center in Baltimore
- North Branch Correctional Institution in Cumberland
- Patuxent Institution in Jessup
- Roxbury Correctional Institution in Hagerstown
- Western Correctional Institution in Cumberland