Topics At A Glance
- Inmates all across Maryland have had a hand in replenishing the oyster population in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries.
- Maryland Correctional Enterprises (MCE) inmates have made more than 9,000 cages for oyster spat, which allow the young oysters protection in the waterways.
- Both inmates behind the fence (Hagerstown) and pre-release inmates (Eastern Pre-release Unit) have made the oyster spat cages, providing needed jobs and skills for both of these groups.
- During summer 2011 inmates from the Southern Maryland Pre-Release Unit cleaned 500 bushels of loose oyster shell, cut 69,000 ft of shell bag material and filled 17,250 bags of shells thru July 1.
- Thanks largely to this unique DPSCS-DNR partnership, 25 million spat were planted in the St. Mary’s Co. Sanctuary and Charles Co. Reserve in the Wicomico River during FY10.
- Maryland Correctional Enterprises (MCE) inmates contributed to the growth, harvesting and planting of 38,720 shrubs and shoreline grasses on Poplar Island in May of 2011.
- Announcing a partnership with Governor O’Malley’s Smart Green and Growing and Marylanders Plant Trees initiatives in 2008, DPSCS pledged that inmates would plant one million trees in four years.
- The One Millionth tree was planted in May 2011 at Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary with Governor O’Malley.
- Howard County Parks to Receive 490 Transplanted Pine Trees 10/07/11
- DPSCS Green Public Safety Works featured in Spring 2011 edition of Corrections Today 66/17/11
- Marylanders Grow Oysters Helps Connect People to Bay - Edgewater-Davidsonville Patch 04/18/11
- MD Citizens Surpass Tree Planting Goal - TheBayNet.com 01/13/10
- Citizen Oyster Growing Project Expands from 12 to 19 Rivers - TheBayNet.com 09/19/10
- Inmates baby oysters - Southern MD News 08/18/10
- Inmates Help Restore Native Oysters To Bay - WJZ-13 08-12-10
- Inmates Help Maryland Go Green – WJZ TV 04/21/10
- Inmates Help State Go “Green” – WMAR/AP 04/08/10
- Inmate Help Grow Oysters – Star Democrat 09/30/09
- Prisoners Help Restock Waters with Spat at Piney Point Aquaculture Center – Southern MD News 08/28/09
- Severn River Home Owners Become Oyster Caretakers – The Capital 08/28/09
- Oyster Cages Delivered To Marylanders – WBAL.com 08/27/09
- First Volunteer Grown MD Oysters Transplanted – AP 08/11/09
- Inmates Make Oyster Cages to Boost Bay – Herald-Mail 07/31/09
- Maryland Moves Forward with One Million Tree Initiative – Southern MD Online 6/8/09
- Inmates Plant Seeds to Stop Erosion on MD Island – WJZ 06/04/09
- Inmates Help Restore Chesapeake Bay – Herald-Mail 05/22/09
- Tree-planting campaign provides job skills for Maryland inmates – Herald-Mail.com 04/03/08
- ECI inmates take part in Arbor Day plantings – delmarvanow.com 04/03/08
- Prison Inmates Plant Trees In Celebration Of Arbor Day – your4state.com 04/02/08
- 9,000 oyster cages built by inmates for Marylanders Grow Oysters
Piney Point Aquaculture Center Summer 2011
- 500 bushels of oyster shell cleaned
- 69,000 ft shell bag material vut
- 17,250 shell bags filled
- 25 million oyster spat harvested as part of partnership FY10
- One millionth tree planted May 2011