The Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services offers challenging and rewarding opportunities in a variety of food service settings.
We employ large-scale production methodologies ranging from scratch cooking to state of the art cook-chill food production.
We offer opportunities as an entry level Correctional Dietary Officer to a Correctional Dietary Supervisor and Correctional Dietary Manager.
Consider employment with the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services as a Correctional Dietary Officer (CDO).
Correctional Dietary Officers are employed at various facilities throughout the State of Maryland.
We can offer you:
- A competitive salary, with cash overtime eligibility
- Automatic membership in the Employee's Pension System of Maryland
- The opportunity to join Supplemental Retirement Plans
- Numerous Promotional Opportunities
- Paid uniforms
- Free meals during the course of your assigned shift
- Excellent training experience to state of the art Cook chill production
- Stable employment
What are my working hours?
Shifts can start as early as midnight to as late as 9:00 PM in order to provide adequate coverage. Working shift varies depending on institutional needs and schedule. Employees work on an 8-hour shift.
What kind of promotional opportunities are available?
A CDO I is eligible for promotion to a CDO II after one year of satisfactory work. Promotional opportunities are also available for supervisory and managerial positions.
What is involved in my duties as a Correctional Dietary Officer?
Some of the duties involve:
- Supervising inmates assigned to dietary in food production, preparation and service
- Cook chill work experience is available at Hagerstown and Eastern shore facilities
- Special skills can be utilized in assisting catering at special functions
- Providing training to inmates assigned to dietary
- Experience in food receiving, storage and issuing
What about training as a Correctional Dietary Officer?
- Satisfactory completion of the Training academy within the first year of service
- Opportunities for Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) certification
- Participation in required annual training for CDO's
Questions or comments for HR Recruitment: HRRecruitment@dpscs.state.md.us